When I began this project I had many questions such as how many coats of stain will it take for my table to get the color that I desired. I was also curious about what tools I would need to complete this task as well as what is the most effective way to sand a table. I had no anwer to these questions but was able to find a huge bank of answers in the online discovery tool, Pinterest. I was able to easily find blogs on Pinterest where people have done home projects such as the one I did for my 20% Project. I learned that in order to appropriately sand a table I would need coarse and fine sandpaper. I learned on Pinterest that the most effective way to sand a table is to go with the grain of the wood. Prior to staining the table I had no idea that it was important to also apply a couple coats of polyurthene after staining. I learned this while reading blogs that I got from Pinterest. These blogs were also helpful because bloggers who had done a similar project before were able to provide insider tips that the directions on the cans could not. While I was sanding and staining the table I came across issues that I did not consider such as how to dispose of the stain and paint thinner in an environmentally-friendly manner. I had to look up blogs on Pinterest to get these answers. The skills that I learned from this project were not only handcrafting skills but also how to implement online resources to solve problems. My final product was great! I love how my coffee table came out and I cannot wait to put it in my living room. I was not able to finish the entire project over the course of 5 weeks but I will continue to work on this project over the next couple of months to ensure that I have a dining table set. I have found chairs that I am going to reupholster; however I am still missing the table. I plan to look at Goodwills across San Diego County as well as OfferUp, an app where users sell items online. OfferUp is similar to Craigslist but with easier access to photos. Once I find the table I will attempt to make it match the chairs that I have reupholstered. This project has been a great learning experience for me!
Over the course of the weeks I have been looking for chairs to reupholster. I had not had any luck until recently! This past weekend I went to a birthday party with my sister and found some chairs that would work perfectly for me to reupholster. The chairs were not being used as dining table chairs, rather as chairs that they used for get-togethers. My sister noticed that they were old and were not used as often and she asked her friend if she would consider selling her chairs. The friend mentioned that she was actually trying to get rid of the chairs. My sister said that I would be more than happy to take them off her hands. My sister's friend was kind and willing to given them to me for free, but I insisted and gave her $20 for them.My goal is to reupholster these chairs:
I will use online resources that I have found on Pinterest to help me. After I reupholster the chairs the next step would be for me to find a dining table to fit the chairs so that I can finally get my dining set for my apartment in July. I cannot wait to see what happens!
I was not able to finish the project over the 5 weeks but I will continue to work on this project for the next couple months before I move into my apartment.
As I mentioned last week, before I began staining the table I sanded it down one last time in order to remove all the previous polyurethane so that the stain can penetrate the wood better. I sanded the table down and then blew off all the saw-dust using a leaf blower. This is what it looked like with the final sanding!
I had to be smart about this because once I started staining I would not be able to move the table. Therefore, I decided to put the table inside my garage before staining.
I put the table on top of crates and laid newspaper down so that the stain did not drip on the garage floor. I stained the bottom of the table first because I knew that if I did the top first I would not be able to flip the table over. After the bottom of the table was stained I began staining the top of the table.
This is what the first coat of stain looked like!
After I finished staining the table I needed to let the table dry for 6 hours before I could apply the second coat of stain. Once the six hours had passed I went to go stain the table once more. This is what the second coat looked like.
Here is the final product! I am so happy with my new coffee table. Compared to the original coffee table I was given the final product looks like a brand new table.
The goal for next week is to find some chairs for me to reupholster. I know that I may not finish reupholstering over the next week but I will continue to work on this project so that when July comes around I have some furniture for my new apartment.
Stay tuned to see what I can find!
I love mathematics and how everything in mathematics can be proven going back to simple axioms. I am a mathematics educator at heart and I hope to make learning mathematics fun for all my students and hope to instill the value of education in all my students.